Tuesday, February 15, 2011

LA Subway (they call it "Metro")

Today I had the experience of riding LA Metro. Very interesting experience. First I was almost shocked at how nice it was. The station was clean, light, smelled good, there were no rats and it looked almost like a museum compared to NY subway stations. So I get myself a ticket ($1.50, btw) and proceed to a turnstile. After trying to figure out where to insert it for a minute, I asked people for help. I said: "excuse me, sir, how do I get through?". He looked at me like I had ten heads and replied: "just walk". I didn't think he understood me so I said: "I can't figure out where to insert the ticket?". "Put it in your purse and walk!!!", he responded. I walked through...it was like a miracle! And then it hit me: I DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY!!!???? (actually I said out loud)...and the kid said: "where are YOU from??" I said: "New York". "That explains it", he replied.... Apparently, they have what they call "Honor System", where transit authorities trust that you will pay to ride the train (and if you don't, and get caught by an undercover cop, you get fined $250).

Now, honestly, how many New Yorkers do you know that will "honor" the "honor system"?? Really?? Can you imagine what would happen to NYC if that system was ever introduced?? 

New Yorkers would be the happiest and NY cops would be the busiest! 

Love ya

...till next time,
Your Crazy Girlfriend

2 comments:

  1. thats is... i am moving to LA
    FREEEEEE METRO yayyy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forget a career in HR ... you should become an undercover metro cop!!

    ReplyDelete